Monday, December 19, 2011

To Be A Better Facilitator...

We had our Skills Practice 1 last week. Honestly, it was nerve-wrecking. Not that we were not prepared but having to conduct a session with a row of 'assessors' sitting at the back obviously observing you was indeed stressful. Or was I the only one stressed out?

I enjoyed being the 'learner' though. There were so many good practices shared and they were precious. I picked up on some of their paces, eye-contact and tone of voices. Being in the learner's shoes let me experience what or how we, the facilitators, made the learners feel and first hand.

On the other hand, I've also managed to learn what I should look out for that wasn't comfortable to the learners - the speed of our speech, the awkward usage of certains words like 'ok', 'alright', 'actually' to switch from sentences to sentences, the so-called 'phillers'... I understand now why being a 'Critical Friend' is so important. Who else is there to criticised our training or facilitation if we hadn't gone through Skills Practice?

After our first session, everyone received valuable feedbacks and comments and came up with a list of what we would do more of, and what we should not do or do less of...

These lists are priceless and should be our reminders ~ reminding us to be better facilitators! :)

And a final note to end this entry, Dr P didn't give us or tell us what we should do more of or do less of for SP2, she made us think and reflect on our SP1 in order to set the goals ourselves to write on the flip charts! She elicit the concept from us and with our own goals written and set, we'll set out to accomplish them, isn't it?

* * * * * * * * * * *

For me... don't make this mistake again... squeezing all words onto one flipchart when there was another clean and clear chart right next to me.

I look forward to Practice 2, a mix of anxiety and excitement to see how I've transformed too.
I'm sure all of us would be more concious and mindful for Practice 2. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment